Tuesday, January 2, 2007

Joyous Resolutions

Resolutions are popular because everyone feels they could use a little improvement.
Marilu Henner


It’s that time of year again; time to ring in the new, out with the old, etc., etc., etc. This year, instead of the some old resolutions, I propose you add some really fun resolutions to your lineup. Some that might actually want to make you stick with the plan well after January 2nd. Consider some of the following;

Make and share a new chocolate recipe once per month.
Get a dog.
Take one sick day when you’re not sick. Use it to pamper yourself or just disappear for the day.
Try a new flavor of ice cream once a week this summer.
Learn one new skill. It doesn’t have to take weeks of study, although it could. This year I learned to assemble some metal shelving units which had been stubbornly resisting my efforts in the past. I finally figured out all the attachment uses of my food processor, learned how to design and upload a web site (thanks to the eternal patience of my web hosting customer support staff), grasped the procedure behind changing the hot water faucet on my bathtub and discovered the wondrous experience of house exchange for traveling. I’ve also gotten quite adept at rag-rolling glaze over paint and am delighted with the results in my dining room! Think about it….over what seemingly small skill would you like to declare mastery at this time next year?
While we’re on the learning theme, resolve to take one class this year. Just one. It could be a 12 week course in Spanish, six weeks of salsa dancing or a two hour seminar on learning to compost.
Promise to purchase at least one item per month (more if you’re already in that habit) from a local merchant (a.k.a. not a chain). The possibilities are endless! From coffee to wine, to dining out, books, home décor, art and hot clothing items, the world is at your doorstep. Don’t take it for granted. Starbucks is great, but there is life beyond them!
If getting organized is the bane of your existence, resolve to keep one area free of clutter. You’re not going to keep your whole house looking like it comes from the Container Store, so forget about it. Clear out one area—the bookcase in your bedroom, the hodgepodge of games in the TV cabinet, your sewing basket, your broom closet, the back seat of your car. Pick one area, clean it and keep it that way. Add another next year. By the time you’re 116, your life will be perfectly organized
Add one fascinating person to your life this year.
Every day, take a moment to be grateful for your problems. Do you know how many people in the world would kill to have to juggle their budget so that their monthly mortgage is paid on time?
Do the “never” as opposed to the “always”. As in, “I never watch sports,” “I never dance at parties,” “I always travel to work via this route” “My house is always a mess,” “I’ve never been coordinated.” “I never put chocolate chips in my oatmeal.” Stop doing what you "always" do and try what you "never" do!
Go to the library once a month.
Resolve to have no overdue fines for the entire year (see resolution above. Okay….this one is from my own list, I admit it!)
Do one totally out of character thing at least once a week. Preferably in front of your children; it really freaks them out!
Hold your tongue just one time—even if you have the perfect sarcastic retort. Just once this year—you can do it.
Cultivate your sense of humor. There is not enough laughter in our lives.
Meet, mix and mingle with people at least once a month. The Internet allows us interact with people all over the globe, but that is no substitute for the personal warmth of a face-to-face get-together. When I was a kid, our parents used to gather together after dinner on their neighbor’s porch to chat while all the children played. Now, we are too busy shuttling our children all over town to chat. In college, we hung out to party and study; now it takes me three weeks to schedule a coffee date with my best friend. We are becoming increasingly busy and isolated. Resolve to break that cycle this year; then plan something.


I’m sure you have many of your own ideas. Just plan to do something this year that enhances your joy and brings joy to those around you. Show kindness in small ways, give delight to your family and friends in ways that only you can. And when all else fails, bring out the chocolate!



1 comment:

Dixie Darr said...

Great ideas, Maureen. Of course, I go to the library several times a week--so frequently, in fact, that they cheerfully waive all fines I incur. I may try the ice cream suggestion, though. I saw a chocolate-covered, banana-flavored ice cream bar at the Vitamin Cottage the other day, and it sure looked yummy. These are the kind of resolutions I'll be sure to keep. :)