Friday, May 18, 2007

Joy to the World

As many people have had a low success rate in keeping the ten commandments, here is all you need to remember.
1. Do what is nourishing to your spirit.
2. Do not do what is loathsome to your spirit.
Alan Cohen

You know, it's funny how the Universe sends you the exact message you're supposed to receive at the exact moment(s) that you need to receive it. Also funny how different people need (and heed) different messages. My friend Corey, a personal and professional coach, keeps getting the message of "balance". It comes to her in everything she reads, the people she talks to and she hears it over and over when she meditates and is still. Now Dixie, on the other hand, has been hearing the message of "creativity" (amazing how succinct God can be, isn't it? The spirit within us is one of few, yet powerful words). If you read Dixie's blog (on this site), you will see the theme of creativity repeated over and over. it is her current calling.


The current message I have been receiving over and over the past few months is (again!) simply one word-- "joy". Of course this is the message I need to here. My wedding officiating business is in its 7th year and I still love what I do, love meeting fascinating new people and love helping them put together unique and creative ways to express their love on their big day. Yes, all of that is still there, but of late I confess to feeling a bit mechanical in the behind-the-scenes-process of bookings, contracts, billing and endless ceremony scripts to write.

While I can't envision myself doing anything else, it's clear that the Universe is telling me to infuse more joy into that which I am doing so that I avoid boredom and burnout. (I'm pretty sure no one wants a less-than-enthusiastic officiant at their wedding celebration!). Since my natural tendency is to focus on the nuts and bolts of marketing, outreach, accounting and generating creative ceremony ideas, this rather ambiguous focus on "joy" is a bit out of my comfort zone. At first a challenge, I do find that it's now becoming a fun game to figure out ways to infuse more joy into my day. This past Wednesday after performing the wedding for Jeff and Ashley at the Botanic Gardens I actually stayed to tour the gardens for an hour or two, then headed off with Jeremy to a scrumptious dinner at Thai Cafe in Edgewater. Ah yes! Joy at its best. I've also developed some new and creative ways to add more joy to the experience that my couple shave in working with me. More on that in future blog entries.

Think about it....what message is the Universe sending you? If you pay attention, you shouldn't have to look (or listen) very hard to find it. It may be as simple as one word! When you hear it, heed it, for it is more than likely the path of your greatest potential for the moment.

I wish you joy!!!!!!

No comments: